Tuesday, June 2, 2009

driving in cars making memories

Why do we travel 5 hours in a car with a child who, for the most part despises her carseat 4 children still in 5 point harnesses, and then think of it as fun?

To build memories. Duh.



And, I'm not talking about the type of memories that include twin 1 year olds stripping off their pajamas and dirty diapers and throwing them over the edge of their extra large pack-n-play that they were just tucked into for bed, while staying at a cabin with 2 other familes and their children.

Not those kind of memories.



The kind of memories that include itty bitty people walking/falling/swimming/splashing/crawling/stripping down to their Bob the Builder underwear (without you knowing) across the beginning of the mighty Mississippi:




The kind of memories that make you think back to what it must have felt like to snuggle with your 3 year old son in a parking lot next to your car's wheels while stopped for an ice cream and potty break:


Those kind of memories.


---------------------------------------


And you thought I was kidding when I said Mondays and Tuesdays are the only days I do laundry around here. Here's round 1 of 4:


But for some reason, it's not as big of a deal when you can do it while sniffing a sweet zephyr of lilac from your neighbors backyard.

8 comments:

mrs boo radley said...

Mmm. Lilacs.

I love hearing about your memories.

When are you going to drive to the delta of the Columbia River and see me?

xx

Aimee' said...

Sounds like a fun time! I live about 35 miles from the Gulf of Mexico....actually, we'll be playing in it this Friday!

Esther said...

My boys have been in their skivvies in the headwaters many a time. That's such a fun place!

Stephanie said...

It's stressful,tiresome and crazy but you're right it's all about the memories! I can completely relate!

Anne said...

I don't remember how I stumbled across your blog, but I do love it. I have four children as well (ages two to ten) and run a B&B. I wouldn't mind spending so much time doing laundry if I had a view like that to do it in! But oh, what I would give to only do laundry two days a week...

Jessica said...

You've got quite the view from your deck. Beautiful.

Loukia said...

Lovely pics and post! And mmm, lilac trees are my favourite ever! I hear you on the laundry... seems I have that much do on a daily basis and I only have two kids!

gina said...

What fun- even the tossing stuff out of the playpen will make for funny memories... someday. ;) I never thought to fold the laundry outside- it would make it nicer...