- Children under the age of 9 are not cognitively and emotionally prepared to handle watching the evening news.
- By the time a child is 18 years old, he/she will have viewed 200,000+ acts of violence.
- Advertisers spend on average $700 million per year individually on sales pitches to children.
- More than 60% of the commercials are for cereal, candy, and toys. (Meat, milk products, bread, juice make up only 4% of ads shown during "childhood viewing time.")
- Children who do NOT have TVs in their bedrooms do better in school.
- Kids who watch 25 hours of TV per week show increases in agressive behavior, childhood obesity, and sleep distrubances.
- The average child in America spends FIVE hours per day watching TV and playing video/computer games.
Sources: American Academy of Pediatrics Guidelines for Parents: Television and the Family; Selling Out America's Children, David Walsh, PhD.