Thursday, July 16, 2009

Nut Butter Balls

If you're like me and you:

a. love a punch of protein once in awhile, throughout the day
b. insist on following the rule of ingesting protein within the 30 minutes after you swim laps
c. enjoy bite sized treats but are out of dried cherries and oreos
or
d. feel good when you feed your children quality snacks instead of nutritionally void ones

...then you've got to try this quick and easy Nut Butter Ball recipe.


My friend Lindsey introduced me to these pieces of paradise that fit right in your palm, and I'd like to introduce you to them, too.

So bloggy friends, meet Nut Butter Balls:




In a medium bowl mix together:

2 c of nut butters (any combination of almond, sunflower, peanut, cashew, hazelnut, etc. I recommend getting that in bulk at your local whole food store. I used all almond, but would have used another if I had some on hand.)

1/3-1/2 c honey or agave nectar (I used mostly honey with a dallop of agave.)

1/4-1/2 c flax (optional but highly recommended for nutritional purposes)

Then add in 1/2-3/4 c flour (Enough so that the mixture resembles playdough. It shouldn't stick to your fingers. I was fine with 1/2 c whole wheat flour.)

Form mixture into 1 1/2-2 in balls and roll in unsweetened coconut flakes. Or wheat germ.

And there you go.

At that point, feel free to pat yourself on the back and hollar, BAM! Or grab one of your children (or pets) and spin around in the kitchen singing, "We are the Champions."

Or, just eat one, smile and thank me later.

13 comments:

Liz said...

mmmmm...sounds yummy and good for you! I'm gonna try those this week...

Tara said...

Hummm, sounds easy enough.

Ehlan said...

I think they'd go well with the cookies I just made... mmmm... thanks!

Anonymous said...

Mmmm Those sound tasty and the recipe is too easy not to try it. :) Thanks!

Lindsey said...

And, if you are GF, use coconut flour, like I do :-)

mrs boo radley said...

Pancakedness in the morning?

Yeah, me too.

Enjoy your nut butter ballness.

~*Michelle*~ said...

Drool
Drool
Drool

I am going to attempt to make this....but I will tell you that my baking confidence is in the toilet right now....

I have 3 pounds of goat's milk fudge (yes, fresh from the tap, my cramped carpel tunnel hands will be proof enough) whose consistency is still like pudding after two days in the freezer.

*sigh*

I am giving you a virtual HIGH FIVE right now.....and hitting Freddie Mercury's highest notes!

Homegrown Tribe said...

yummy yummy! Thanks for sharing!

britt

Melissa said...

love love love.

thanks for sharing :-)

Nicole said...

Sounds perfect ! I am going to make these now :o)

Mom2my10 @ 11th Heaven said...

Hey, found you on twitter! 4 under 3! Wow! And I thought my life was hard. Great to meet you!

gina said...

bookmarking this!

Twisted Cinderella said...

They sound yummy!! Do you cook them at all?