Thursday, July 23, 2009

Park Biology 101

Today, after playing at the park, this little guy came home with us:



No, I'm not talking about the friendly, young, lad who's holding the little guy. Not the boy who quickly made friends with my children then proceeded to lead them along the wooded area of our favorite park while teaching them about Queen Ants, their wings and the fascinating fact that some reproduce without mating.

I'm talking about the froglet that the budding entomologist is holding:

After the children scooped up a whole slew of them--I'm sure from the safety of their own backlog--they named him Froggy, of course. Then the others: Frogarella, Frog White, Frogman, and Spiderfrog. In which I validated as very appropriate names. However, if they were my froglets; Mulligan, Croquet, Thabeet and Oreo would be among the top names that I'd delegate.

I digress.

And not only did that one, sweet, little, scared lilypadless, froglet come home with us, all 4 of his friends did too. Safely in our daughter's pocket*.

Unbeknownst to me.




*For all the Frog Advocates out there, we did transfer them to the Bug Catcher Container before naps.

14 comments:

mrs boo radley said...

My sister had a fish named Dante Lilypad once.

Aimee' said...

I used to love those little frogs when I was little...now...not so much!

Elyse said...

Now I take it...you will check pockets before leaving the park! He is a cute little froggie though.
~Elyse

Esther said...

I want a fish. I want to name him Fluffy. ;-) Love your frog names!

Nicole said...

I personally enjoy your frog names , myself . Your children's names however work too :o) And for the record I have never ever seen one that small!!! We have tons and I mean tons around our home and they are HUGE! So this was quite neat to see .

Melissa said...

I love your blog, you have he best pictures, makes me laugh and smile when I read your posts :)

Anonymous said...

{giggle} That is to funny. My 6 year old daughter is obsessed with frogs and turtles and toads. She carried around 2 {dead} baby turtles the entire time we were on vacation and thought we could take them home. Can you imagine a 12 hour car ride with 2 dead turtles. Then last week she caught a {big} toad and had the bright idea to put him in the mail box to scare the mailman. What kind of kid am I raising? :)

Thanks for this post. I had forgotten to blog about the potential toad in the mailbox :)

Unknown said...

I couldn't help but laughing. We have a tank full of toads and one chorus frog this year. I've told the kids no more! The tank is to maximum capacity and is becoming hard to clean. Off to the pet shop we got for more supplies!

Stephanie said...

I'm a scaredy cat when it comes to little discoveries like that. I'd of freaked when I saw them...I mean literally collapsed on the floor probably :)

Stacey said...

Yes! Way to go girls!

Kristin said...

We don't have any frogs or toads near our house, but it made me hoppy that your kids found some!

Sorry, couldn't resist... ;)

The Fritz Facts said...

The tiny frogs have been out in full force recently. We (somehow) have three. I told the kids to release them today, so we will see if that happens.

Paige said...

Ok--hilarious...and yes, I am late in reading it...

I am also wondering where you have been on twitter and the blog!!!!?

I have missed your tweets!

Paige

Lisa Noel said...

i've never seen anything like that. i don't really do frogs or the like but that sort of cute actually