Thursday, April 24, 2008

I Just Can't Help Myself

Almost every night, right before I crawl in bed, I go downstairs and check on Norah and Hazel. I make sure their room is the right temp, that one is not crowding the other in a corner of their crib, and that...well, they're still there. And don't you agree, babies look so much bigger and older when they're sleeping? I can't help but pick each one up and snuggle together in their rocking chair for a few moments before I leave their room. During the day if one or the other isn't hanging out with me in the frontpack, I get NO cuddle time with them. They're at the stage where they have to go, go, go. So, I get my cuddle time with them while they're somewhere off in dreamland.

Like last night, I picked Norah up first and we rocked in the dark. She's our hard sleeper, so she didn't even break in her heavy breathing pattern while I was kissing her cheeks, rubbing noses with her, and smelling her nighttime baby breath. She laid motionless in my arms as I stared at her. "Were you my little Baby A," I whispered as I snuck in for another smooch. To think she was my "head down, bigger baby, solid puncher, photogenic one" just a little over 10 months ago. After about 4 or 5 minutes of rocking, Hazel lifted her head from the crib. As her eyes focused and she saw what was going on, she flashed her intoxicating smile and shook with excitement. That's when I laid Norah back down and switched babies. Except, this time I took Hazel out into our basement living room to snuggle with daddy. Both girls love their daddy, but Hazel shows it more intensely. As soon as she lays her eyes on him she squeaks, smiles, giggles, and shakes her entire body. And that's exactly what she did when she saw him sitting on the couch. She got a few minutes of kisses and hugs from daddy, then she was right back in her crib joining her sister in dreamland.

This bedtime routine has always been my favorite. Even back when Julia was a baby. I think of it as my relaxation session-without the water, bubbles, and candles. Who needs a whirlpool tub when you can get your snuggle on with the last two babies of your family?

12 comments:

Lisa said...

That is so sweet. I have always gone in before I went to sleep to look at my babies. I guess I stop doing it every night when I am afraid I will wake them up (like 3!) I love watching my babies sleeping so peacefully with their arms over their head. I often contemplate waking them up so I can hug and squeeze them.

jennyhendrickson said...

They have grown up so fast. I read the book I'll love you forever to my daughter and your night time routine reminds of that book. How sweet.

Alicia O. & the gang said...

I know I am pregnant and emotional...but seriously tears are happily rolling down my face. To wonder where those of us who love this job would be without it!? What a miracle and a blessing!

Amy said...

That sounds so delightful. There's nothing as sweet as sleeping babies. Nothing.

PS Julie's hair-thingy (previous post), tell me more about that. Did you make it?
I love it.

Anonymous said...

GOOSEBUMPS!!!!!!!!

Wonderful, thanks for sharing. How blessed YOU are and how blessed your KIDDOS are!

Anonymous said...

It must be a generational thing, nightime snuggles was a precious time for me, also. Now I do the same with my grandbabies.

Ehlan said...

I too love to sneak an extra little peak before I head off to bed; I must admit, I'm afraid to touch/pick up because I don't want to wake her!! :)

Lisa H said...

I have a confession....I'm a lurker.

I came over from MckMama's site a while back and I just keep coming back. Your family is so cute, and I like your writing style, and I love your short hair! So, anyway...

I just wanted to say that I do the same thing. I have a 9 month old and I LOVE to check on her and get some sweet snuggles before bed! I did the same with my older two when they were babies. I don't even want to THINK about the days I won't be able to do it anymore! :)

Angela said...

That is so precious, Tiffany! I love it. I can just picture you snuggling those little ones. Those are also my favorite times- just watching them sleep- or rocking them after they've already drifted off into dreamland.

Jessica said...

I'm also a lurker...but I know Stacey, so I found your blog through hers :)
Your nighttime routine is so sweet. It reminds me of that children's book, "I love you forever." I think that's what it's called where the mom goes in and rocks and whispers, "I'll love you forever, I;ll like you for always, as long as I'm living my baby you'll be." So sweet...

Kim said...

Lol.. i used to do very similar things with Landen, and even now I will go in thre sneak in some smooches, etc. I love doing that and I dont think I will ever stop until he is out the house...

Rachel said...

Oh, I love rocking the sweet, sleeping babe. There is something so soothing about the soft weight and steady breath of an infant sleeping. It's relaxing just thinking about it. :)