Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Nourishingly Vacant, Yet Heart Filling

It appears that the girls enjoy chocolate cake just as much as their mama does. These apples sure haven't fallen far from the tree. However--believe me--it's pretty safe in saying that me and my dark villain could never look anywhere near as cute as they with their 3 tiered Carnival Cake, that their great grandma made for them, smeared all over their faces.

Oh, the sweetness of it all!

Then I was thinking. And, I remember this very clearly. As our oldest, Julia, was nearing her first birthday, I sort of shyed from the idea of allowing her to take part in the shove-birthday-cake-in-your-face-so-everyone-can-snap-pictures-and-chuckle-at-the-scrumptiousness-of-it-all ritual. I had cautiously monitored EVERYTHING she had eaten up to that point, carefully pureeing all her fruits and vegetables, withholding all the highly allergenic foods, and steering clear of non-nutritious items. How was I to let her indulge in such a nourishingly vacant substance? With all that said, she did, take part in the ritual of the 1st birthday cake consumption. And she's still a properly functioning child to this day. Thank goodness for that. So, Norah and Hazel--you're both in the clear! Look what you have to look forward to for next year.

4 comments:

Homegrown Tribe said...

That picture is too cute... I am still marveling at the idea of seeing 2 little ones that look so alike doing the same things at the same time. It's going to be so much fun!

Brittany

Lisa H said...

That is great!

I very clearly remember doing the same thing with my first one...was I really going to let him shovel cake into his mouth after 12 months of milk and fruits and vegetables? In the end, I let him have it too.

And now, with my third baby nearing her first birthday--I'm looking forward to it! :)

Anonymous said...

I was actually excited about seeing my otherwise healthy eaters shove sugary cake into their mouths on their first birthdays. But then---NADA!! Neither of my boys would so much as touch their cakes, more or less eat them. Oh, what a disappointment:)

I sure enjoy seeing your one year olds enjoy themselves, though. And those WERE bibs on the girls. Wow, adorable. Did you make them? The bibs, not the girls. I know you made them.

Kristi said...

Ahhh..the first birthday cake!!! :-)

Sweet pictures of your big ONE-YEAR old girls!! I look forward to more pictures!! :-)

Happy Birthday, Norah and Hazel - and Mom and Dad too! What a big day for EVERYONE!!!