Saturday, January 24, 2009

Very routine. But not today. But definitely tomorrow.

Today has been everything but routine. Which is abnormal for this household, but it was an exhilarating blast, to say the least.

We're the schedule type that has planned around morning and afternoon naps for the past 4 years. Even the thought of skipping or shortening naptime stresses me right out. I found early on--with our firstborn, now 4 year old--that naptime energized both parties most definitely. Then, the next three hooligans followed suit.

But this morning! Ho, ho! This morning after breakfast, Mr. Marvelous and I loaded our 4under3 into the truck--the one that's finally fixed and back home with us--and made like dauntless unflinching bandits as we headed for the big city. The Boat Show was our destination and a time frame and expectation for naps and complete pyramid meals was not part of its design. Believe me, it took mental brain power on my part to convince myself that throwing our daily schedule out the window for a day would not wreak havoc on our children. And, what do you know!! It didn't.

As we walked around shiny watercrafts, we nibbled on pretzel rods and left trails of dropped popcorn. We smiled kindly at the passerbyers who couldn't help but chuckle at our crew, and agreed with the folks that occasionally stopped to comment about our tiny team. "Oh, yes, we are a busy bunch!" I'd say.

After pushing lunch back 2 1/2 hours from its regular time, and lollygagging our way back home, we had no intentions for a required rejuvination period for our little people. After all, it was a nonroutine day.

But tomorrow you can scratch flyin' by our pants. We'll be right back on track. Around 3:30'ish, I'll be walking down this hallway as I finish rounding up napping children.

(The following video was supposed to be an example of a normal day getting the little girls up from their nap. Can you see all that they were doing to entertain themselves as they waited for me? (I woke Luke Batman up first, and he came along to help.) Keep in mind, what you don't see in this video is how I was scoping out the scene nervously after I entered. I was praying that the odor I was smelling was not due to something that was spread all over the little girls' crib. Thankfully everything was contained. Thankfully. And, after watching this video the second time, I noticed two things that cracked me up, that I didn't notice when I first shot it. Do you see them?)

11 comments:

mrs boo radley said...

I see about 253 things that crack me up!

So fun to hear your voice and see the babes in action!

Wendy said...

I too found your blog from a friend's blog and I'm just laughing my head off! The reason I picked up on your blog is that I had 3 under 2. My twins were born when #1 was 16.5 months. (Yes, early 2008 was a bit of a haze for me...)

I just read your JoAnn post and just about fell out of my chair! I went there the other week myself(ironically, we hit the library that day as well) - 2-day pattern sale - and tried so hard to avoid people so I wouldn't have to hear the "Wow, you've got your hands full" comment and give out an award for someone being the 1000th person to say that to me in a single year. I wonder if people feel somehow obligated to say something. Maybe everyone else feels sorry for those of us with lots of little tinies and feel that they must at least acknowledge our "pain". Such silly people! It's far more pleasure than pain.

Truly, I love the way you write. You have such a way with words.

I couldn't agree more with some of the comments you got on that one. I usually respond with the "I'm glad it's me and not you, too" line as well.

Happy routines and adventures to you and yours!

Lori said...

okay, so we get used to each other's writing voice on our blogs, but do you know how fun it was to hear from your real voice!?very cute video!

Candy said...

This video is awesome! There were more than 2 things that cracked me up!

Swing over to my blog - you've been awarded, young lady!

~*Michelle*~ said...

Oh my Lord......how sweet are those children?!?!?

We had a Batman at our home too.....he lived here for a good portion of '95-'98. Then came "Sipter-man" aka Spiderman who moved in are '99-'03. Gotta love the super hero stuff.

The giggling girls are just what my heart needed to hear today. Thanks for sharing!
xox
*~Michelle~*

Elyse said...

Luke, Hazel, and Norah crack me up! Seriously! The pants are on the floor and they are partying like little rock stars!
~Elyse~

gina said...

I thought the doll legs sticking out fromunder the mattress and the sweater half off was funny....

I watched this with no volume since I am RIGHT beside hubs as he watches tv, but now after reading the comments I am going to have to come back later and watch with full sound. :)

Donnie said...

I like how Luke came dangerously close to kicking his sister in the head...seems like we too have a lot of close calls on a daily basis!

Stephanie said...

Oh my goodness...that is the cutest thing I have ever seen!!!!!!! So adorable! How old are Hazel and Norah now? They're alittle older than 12 months,right? I tell ya I love that bed...what a wonderous idea you had :)

Homegrown Tribe said...

that was so cute! i love it!


britt

heather@it'stwinsanity said...

I have to tell you, my girls STILL throw everything out of their cribs when they take naps. (When I forget to zip up the crib tent!) And I usually find them in various stages of undressing too. Too funny! Your girls are absolutely adorable!