Thursday, January 15, 2009

it throws you into a funk

As it turns out, it's a bitter arctic tundra here.

And because of it, all our school systems announced last night that they'd be closed today. In addition, the MOPs group that I'm a part of canceled today's meeting too. Not that either of those really pertain to us today, being that our eldest is a newly 4-year-old who only attends preschool two mornings a week, and we're without our truck that has been in the shop since Monday fixing these. And it will stay put there for yet another full week. (Remember when that happened? Grr.)

So, this morning we dined on a batch of Banana pancakes, then a batch of Chocolate Chip pancakes. Then, we snacked from this beautiful, well-crafted, 4-sided inscribed jar (Thanks Kelly!):



All the while, carrying this coffee--sleeved with style--around with me everywhere I went (Thanks Gina):


We played with Daddy when he came home for a meeting with the cable guy:

(R: Hazel, L: Norah)
Then, we laughed about how much Hazel is a daddy's girl, and how I wished that it was Bring Your Youngest Daughter To Work Day. (Explanation: whenever Daddy is around, but then has to leave, it always throws this littlest sister--by 2 minutes--into a funk.)


What is it that throws you into a funk?

12 comments:

~*Michelle*~ said...

Mmmmmmmmmm, pancakes.

ok, funk catalyst-If I wake up to dishes in the sink....which happens often as I have a 17-year-old, 6 foot 3, sleep eatin' (as opposed to sleep walkin') machine in this house. Something about having a clean sink makes me feel like a competent woman/mother. It just sets the tone of the day to see soggy cereal in the sink trap.

Oh, and if I don't have cream for my coffee (milk doesn't cut it....doesn't get it the right color)

*wow* Girls are just adorable.

Lisa H said...

You know what puts me into a funk? Not getting enough sleep. I walk around the next day like a zombie wondering what is wrong and finally my husband will ask, "how much sleep did you get last night?" and then I'll recognize it.

LOVE Hazel's tights--they are too cute!

Lori said...

Getting so cold that I feel like I'll never warm up. No matter how warm the house is or how many layers I put on, it just feels like my BONES are cold. Not that it's 87 degrees below zero or anyting.....

Candy said...

I'm with Lori:
-21 degree temps with -40 wind chill. Like right now. BIG funk. You'd think after all my years I'd get used to it, but I'm not. It feels like it will never end.

Kristin said...

What puts me into a funk? Not having heat today at work. Or yesterday. Or the day before that. Instead I get freezing cold air blown around the room. And what also puts me in a funk is that the head custodian says I can't turn off the blowers because that would mess up the heating system. You know, the one that doesn't work. So I talk to my principal. For now, the blowers are off, and now the head custodian is probably in a funk.

Homegrown Tribe said...

I just tagged you. :)

britt

mrs boo radley said...

Whirling funk: FEELING DIRT ON THE FLOOR EITHER ON MY FEET OR THROUGH MY SOCKS!

Ugh.

Congratsaloonie, fellow runner-up commenter!

Alicia O. & the gang said...

OH so many things...where to even begin. Yet I too, am thrown into an utter funk when my days cannot be filled with outings and "drop by's", meeting and play dates. I have a hard time staying in for a day, and an even harder time knowing I HAVE to stay in!
Other "funk" inducing items: A messy home, dirty dishes, a lot of laundry, crumbs beneath my feet...ok...well that's pretty much my life...so I'm working on "getting over it!".
I WANT A COFFEE BRA! Where did you get that...or was it gifted?

Anonymous said...

What puts me in a funk? Not knowing where I can find your loaded baked potato soup recipe..

Heidi

Anonymous said...

What puts me into a funk is having a full week ahead on my schedule and not being able to get away to see my kids and grandkids. When I finally see them and hugs and kisses are everywhere, I can inhale their baby smell and soak up the lovin then I feel punk again!

Aimee' said...

What puts me in a funk? Paying my college tuition! ;) WHY does it keep going up every single semester?? And JUST because my husband and I have good jobs I don't qualify for financial aid. Oh and also...textbooks are a rip off! Ok I'm sorry...I'm done now. =) Just bitter that I had to drop several thousand dollars today.

amanda said...

in a funk. hmmm. good question. it is usually 'funky' when things don't go how "i" planned them. that's boring. but hey i'm working on lack of sleep. i love the tights too..my daughter has the same ones. :0) and living in the artic tundra right next door to you has been absolutely freezing. argh. 20's this weekend will feel like a heatwave!